clone testing

Want to suggest new features for the next release?

clone testing

Postby bythenumbers » Mon May 23, 2011 11:26 am

I posted a bug about the clone testing with the last release 1.8.6 and 1.8.6a. It's still reporting mine as a clone as of 1.8.7, and I'm not about to post another bug report about it. Clearly, mine must be a clone, even though it works fine with 1.8.5, has an "official" HWID, and has all the other earmarks of a legit card. Instead, I'd like to offer two suggestions to the team:

1. if you'd like all posters to fully debug, make a how-to. Include all the loaders, previous, official, and current versions, you'd like us to "try", right in the step if possible. Make the whole thing as fool-proof as possible, to increase the quality (and maybe the quantity) of the bug reports you receive.

2. Now, this may be a silly suggestion, but is the clone card test routine really necessary? I realize that there is some economic pressure on the legit AceKard's makers to thwart clone manufacturers, and that AceKard has turned to AKAIO as it's official (for lack of a better term) OS because it's the best. Now, I'm operating on the assumption that AKAIO's coders are largely or entirely a volunteer crew, and are programming for the good of all gamerkind, so why should AKAIO be including a clone test at all? A test for compatibility is certainly reasonable, if some poor soul bought a card that truly doesn't have the hardware to run games. But to put a message up and freeze the DS because the card is, or may be, a clone? Even if that clone is of sufficient quality to play games?

If there is a fix or explanation for this, I'd love to hear it, but otherwise color me disappointed that a group and a freely produced product that has proven beyond reproach in the past is beginning to smell a touch....corporate in how it now requires an "official" card to work.
bythenumbers

Re: clone testing

Postby FawkYew RTFM » Mon May 23, 2011 1:32 pm

akaio does not support clones, clone companies do not support acekard, and acekard supports akaio.

all the tools for debugging are in your hands except for old loaders. old loaders aren't much of an issue anymore because so much has been fixed internally to akaio from when those guidelines were written. if turning off patching in akaio, formatting the msd card, and trying a clean rom doesn't fix your issue then its probably something in the loader that needs to be fixed. you can get older loaders with older releases of akaio, however, if you go back to far the loaders won't work because of the new encryption methods used.

open your clone up and check what chip you have. the HWID can be spoofed, there are 2 known clones that do this, but both have a different chip so we know they are clones.
WIKI | I am like God here - Mouth off and get banned from my world!

before you post:
read the rules thread
read the "before you post" thread
read about how to properly report a bug
FawkYew RTFM

Postby Pendor » Mon May 23, 2011 1:39 pm

1. There is a guideline about debugging in this forum, covering all posible checks you can do before posting.. Sadly, that task is up to the users and most of the time they dont care about providing a proper report, they just want their shit fixed, even if others can't reproduce it.

Seriously Norm, Smiths (or whoever), bring bugdar back. It'll bring some order and wont require constant moderation.

2. Honestly, I doubt Norm gives a shit about clones. The most likely scenario is this one: clones have different hardware, meaning that for those carts to work properly he will have to do some rewriting, in which case it's just easier to block them. But I'm not entirely sure about that one. Get on irc and ask him.
Pendor

Postby fearofshorts » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:32 pm

Pendor wrote:...
2. Honestly, I doubt Norm gives a shit about clones. The most likely scenario is this one: clones have different hardware, meaning that for those carts to work properly he will have to do some rewriting, in which case it's just easier to block them. But I'm not entirely sure about that one. Get on irc and ask him.

I think it's less about it being "easier" to block them, and more about blocking clones preventing users from bitching about AKAIO corrupting their saves/not working/killing their firstborn when they try to run it on a clone.

And as an added benefit to this, by only allowing AKAIO to run on legit hardware AKAIO's reputation won't be smeared by the aforementioned bitching. I've seen a lot of people who think that YSMenu sucks simply because everyone keeps telling them it won't work on their R4i Gold Extra Rip-Off Edition 3D, where it in fact has just been pretty much officially discontinued and hacked to work on other carts.
fearofshorts

Return to Suggestions