Parental Controls

Want to suggest new features for the next release?

Parental Controls

Postby Phenix » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:34 am

Hi all,

NDS and Wii have mecanism to give games access in function of what Admins (parents) setup (PEGI).

Can you implement such mecanism ?
* admin interface can provide PEGI selection (disabled, 3, 7, 12, 18 years)
* based on password input to have access to all roms
* parents can set or override for each roms the PEGI requirements

I hope this feature will be considered as interesting for all gamers that have childrens :D

Regards,
Phenix

Re: Parental Controls

Postby Evo.lve » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:15 pm

Wouldn't work.

e.g. I'm a little kid

"ZOMG O NOES PARENTAL CONTROL"
*insert microSD into computer*
*delete globalsettings.ini*
*PROFIT!!!*
Evo.lve

Postby WiZaRd » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:12 pm

Funny that that's always quoted... personally, I restrict PC access for my kids and they may not use it without my supervision, thus that wouldn't be possible.
Also, I'd find such a feature pretty handy but I'd like to use it to restrict access to some functionality (online updates, deletion of files, etc.).
Using AKAIO 1.9.0 - thx a lot, Normatt & Co!
WiZaRd

Postby Phenix » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:58 am

My kid is only 5 years old, so he dont know what is a microSD. ;)
But he knows that he should not launch "GoldenSun" :(

However, he did it and overwrite my 24 hours savegame :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

So, for my needs, globalsettings.ini is a good place to store parental controls configuration, even if it's not oversecure for "little hackers"
Phenix

Postby justmissu » Sat May 28, 2011 2:58 pm

I restrict PC access for my kids and they may not use it without my supervision, thus that wouldn't be possible.
justmissu

Postby alex » Tue May 31, 2011 2:41 am

try to put your game in another map where he cant get

(hide it in a hidden map)

so he won't find it anymore
alex

Postby FawkYew RTFM » Tue May 31, 2011 9:41 am

i think its pretty ridiculous that a kid young enough to screw stuff up is being taught about piracy and that things can come for free.

password system is potential for more problems as microsd cards get corrupted rather quickly. the password would need to be stored in a file and files in akaio are currently unencrypted. globalsettings.ini is just text based.

how would you determine what files should be blocked based on what age? go by esrb? but not all parents feel that all files can't be enjoyed by their children. so your idea locks the system into a way of working based on how you would personally want it. the only viable way would be to allow users to add files to a listing and rewriting the gui to allow for a way to do this isn't going to happen. instead let me remind you that you can hide files (as mentioned above). use the globalsettings method for hiding files, and each time you play put your globalsettings back on the card. when its the kids turn to play put their globalsettings on.

http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/AKAIO#Globalsettings.ini

hiddenFileNames = __aio,__ak2,__rpg,akmenu4.nds,moonshl2,adult_e-book.txt

Add files or folders to this list that you wish to have hidden from view. The list must be comma delimited with no spaces between entries. Additionally, make sure that all folder and file names are written in lower case letters, even if the actual folder or file name contains an upper case letter. File extenison listing is not supported, all files must be listed by their full name.

at the cost of the acekard ($12-25) buy the kid their own, or share the acekard and buy a $5-9 msd card.
WIKI | I am like God here - Mouth off and get banned from my world!

before you post:
read the rules thread
read the "before you post" thread
read about how to properly report a bug
FawkYew RTFM

Postby slavetofashion69 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:58 pm

You could just spring for a 2nd SD card and keep your stuff on one and the kids' stuff on the other. Problem solved.
slavetofashion69

Return to Suggestions