GBA saves standardization

Want to suggest new features for the next release?

GBA saves standardization

Postby MarkDarkness » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:13 am

Currently AKAIO generates GBA sav file that are slightly different from the conventional sav format used by emulators and such. Would it be possible to standardize the savs and make them interchangeable without the need of using a converter? Or do the extra bytes AKAIO uses contain data vital to the sav being recognized by the firmware?
MarkDarkness

Re: GBA saves standardization

Postby evandixon » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:31 am

The extra bytes aren't needed, because if they aren't there, AKAIO will still read it, but just add them there.
evandixon

Postby MarkDarkness » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:28 pm

Is it a limitation of some library, then? I'm curious.
MarkDarkness

Postby mr_jrt » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:50 am

No, it's just a curious quirk of the original source that AKAIO is based upon. When I've mentioned it before I've been told (quite reasonably) that GBA isn't much of a priority, so it hasn't been looked at.

It's a trivial fix (you just remove the few lines of code that add the bytes in!) that I did in my own mini mod of the base code ages ago...but anyway. That's where things stand.
mr_jrt

Postby MarkDarkness » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:14 pm

Ah... I see, mr_jrt. Thank you for the answer. Let's hope normmatt finds time to work on this at some point... for GBA enthusiasts like me that would be quite beneficial.
MarkDarkness

Postby FawkYew RTFM » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:19 pm

akaio adds a 16 byte header so we can better organize saves for the software. there is a header stripper you can use if it is a problem for you.

get it here: http://filetrip.net/file.php?id=9583
WIKI | I am like God here - Mouth off and get banned from my world!

before you post:
read the rules thread
read the "before you post" thread
read about how to properly report a bug
FawkYew RTFM

Postby MarkDarkness » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:52 pm

Thanks, FawkYew. Welcome back.

My problem is usually not stripping the header and playing on an emu, which works fine. What usually screws up is converting back to AKAIO sav once I've made it through a bugged section and want to resume it on the DS. None of the converters seem to handle that very well.

I read the notice on the dulcet newspost you made though, so I will wait patientlyt until/if it gets implemented.
MarkDarkness

Postby rouken » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:17 am

If what MarkDarkness said about convert the save format from emulator to Akaio format with converter makes the file messes up is a fact, so it is a problem (I'll make a test to check it later...).

If Akaio could use the same save format of the emulators (VBA or No$GBA for example) it will be great, because we can use the same file to both NDS and emulators...

For example, I can load a Super Mario Advance 4's e-Reader stage card using VBA or No$GBA and put the save file with this feature back to NDS!!!
rouken

Postby rouken » Sat Feb 05, 2011 1:59 am

I made the tests with the AKAIO GBA Save Converter and it really masses the save file after convert the "emulator format" to the "Akaio format".

I'm in favor of Akaio standardizate the save format for the same of the other emulators. With this, I thing this problem could be fixed!!

I want to use my GBA saves in both NDS and GBA emulators...
rouken

Return to Suggestions