Any chance in hell of bringing plugins back?

Want to suggest new features for the next release?

Any chance in hell of bringing plugins back?

Postby Adultery » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:29 pm

Just picked up a 3DS and ditched my Cyclo for an Acekard. I wish I would have found it sooner, it's pretty awesome! I really love custom GBA frames and icons as per game-ID, and I flip this between my DS Lite and 3DS a lot... And the Cyclo is long gone. AKAIO is obviously a far superior firmware, and there are only a couple small things that I wish Acekard 2i could do that Cyclo the did.

Please note, I'm not bitching or even requesting features here. I'm also a programmer, and I would much rather create my own solutions than to beg others to do the hard work. I was hoping to see if I couldn't toss in a plugin or three (I had some ideas I wanted to see if I could get off the ground, like an in-game text reader and real-time saving, maybe a music player that mutes game audio...), but I've been told the plugin system has been banished due to lack of interest (which is a sad thing in and of itself). Obviously I would need to know the plugin calls to know if such a thing were even possible or attemptable (or even a template), and was hoping someone would be willing to point me in the right dorection.

If the system isn't maintained and won't ever be again I apologize for asking... but I always hope for the best and I figured there's really no harm in asking.

I'm probably stretching here, but is there any chance whoever works on AKAIO could tell me the chances of the system being resurrected? Maybe the current system includes some calls I can use or even play with already, or is it restricted/stripped down to only include the calls and/or variables the Wi-Fi plugin needs? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks for your time. :)
Adultery

Re: Any chance in hell of bringing plugins back?

Postby Normmatt » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Plugins were never really plugins they were just programs that were executed when a specific file type was detected. In game code such as real time menu/save etc are alot more complicated than you think they are. You have VERY limited space for code let alone having to handle write only registers and other annoyances.
Don't piss me off or you'll regret it.
Normmatt
Site Admin

Re: Any chance in hell of bringing plugins back?

Postby Adultery » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:22 pm

Thanks Normmatt for the response. :)

I understand/respect that. I never expect any project to be easy, but the challenge of doing it always makes me want to tr and see what happens. I learn by trial and error (as many of us programmers do). I suppose I just enjoy playing around with things. I have coded plugins for software before, and I suppose I was reaching when I suggested that these were possible with zero knowledge on what he system would support (there's pretty much no documentation out there about the plugin system in AKAIO, so ya hope for the best). I can still see cool things being done with the "decide what to do depending on file type" scenario (a theme with an option of adding custom background images per game if possible? Like if "game.image exists in theme folder then use it" kind of situation)... But it was more of an interest in playing with the system. *shrug*

Again, I appreciate you taking the time out to explain it to me and thanks for all you do. :D
Adultery

Return to Suggestions